When life gives you lemons, ride a turtle.

When life gives you lemons, ride a turtle.

Tuesday, November 19, 2013

Four way battle: LibreOffice, Microsoft Office, Google Drive, and Skydrive

Microsoft Office, my experience is well... I won't say vast, but well informed. That might be a better word. I've messed with Microsoft office from middle school to somewhat present day. Its professional, although sometimes it can be complicated at times. With many different options, buttons, and do-dads one can get lost. Still lets talk about the features shall we?


This is Microsoft word's tool bar. For starters it has the basic File, Home, Insert, Page Layout, and Mailings tab. Now, I'm going to state this as well, this is the 2010 version. So it is outdated. It still has its uses, and can make one hell of a resume for a job. Although my skills with the program has dwindled over the years, I still tend to use it from time to time.

The funnest thing to play with by far is the text animations, and background manipulations. You can bring new life to your work, giving it a more edgier approach.

I'm also going to add this in, Skydrive is a slightly inferior version compared to Microsoft office. You receive 5gb of space to use for files, you can buy more space if needed, and the best part is that its perfectly free! All you need is a live account. So if you have a xbox live account then you're golden. Heck you don't even have to make a new email for it. You can link one of your own to log in with. For example, instead of having frankbillbobjoemanthefifth12@live.com I can use rememberflapjack53535@yahoo.com instead. (These are not real accounts, and if they are I apologize in advance. I came up with these at random.)

Now Skydrive is really cool, I prefer google drive over it. Yet it still stands tall. With a Skydrive you have access to slightly downgraded version of Microsoft office. In addition you can sign in on the desktop version and it will sync your work. So its automatically saving itself onto the web-base version; internet is required for this to work. I give it a B+.



Google Drive. I probably post about this quite a bit to be honest. I know it isn't the first time I've done it. In fact, this topic has been around the block once or twice. So I'll try not to bother you much about it. Now the google drive is completely free, unless you want to buy for additional space. It has everything that Microsoft office has, but its more simplified. Although there is beauty in simplicity. It is easier to find more what you need, BUT you don't have too many options in customization like Microsoft office does. That is one of the downsides for me.

Libre is kinda like Microsoft office. It has the same fonts, almost exact options, and is shockingly compatible. You're asking what's so compatible about libre office aren't you? well I'll tell you. Libre office documents can be opened with Microsoft office, and Microsoft live. I figured it out by accident. Now its not 100% keen, but when it comes to saving Word docs then it'll do its job. I will say this though, I still prefer some of the templates you can use in Microsoft Excel over libre office's version. Still its free, and that's always good.


No comments:

Post a Comment