When life gives you lemons, ride a turtle.

When life gives you lemons, ride a turtle.

Wednesday, October 23, 2013

Life with Google.

Using google is like a love/hate relationship for me. Sometimes I love it, other times I'd like to strangle it. Either way I can always say one thing. It owns me. No matter what, its always the go to guy. I've used it for projects, research, laptop backgrounds, shopping, and so much more. Its unbelievable. Come to think of it I hardly ever use yahoo, unless its for my gaming email. That's because Google has the superior search engine. I've used Bing, Ask.com, and so many others over the years. None of which stood up, for me at least, like google did.

With Google, I was able to complete my senior project for high school. I used it not only for research, but as a place to save and do my work. With its Google drive, then I could just add onto it whenever I liked. Then once I got home it was saved on my email. So I never really had to worry much about it. (You know Google is important when you type it without capitalizing the G and spell check says you spell it wrong). That worked wonders when I did my Senior project and I was at a jail with no internet wireless connection. It allowed me to keep notes, and didn't have to worry about losing them unless I deleted them myself.

Now its just common use! I use Google probably hundreds of times daily. Mainly for research on Marvel characters, or past video games. But those are just some of the smaller things. If I ever have a problem, I simply Google it and receive an answer almost instantly. Its unbelievable. Besides, you'd look like a fool if you told a friend to "Bing it". I think not.

What else can you do on Google? Well, you have Google books. Think of a kindle, but replace it with Google and you get the idea. In fact they're both compatible! Like two peas in a pod field of information. Although, I never really used Google books, but I can say one good thing about them. In my System architecture book I am missing chapter 1, so I Googled it. Google books allowed me to preview the entire 1st chapter for free, and some of the later chapters as well. Now there is a time limit for this, so don't get any ideas. Its so many hours a day. Although its still nice to have a back up.

Lets say you don't have Microsoft office, nor a live account. Then you're not going to have access to Microsoft word, excel, power-point, etc. Well if you use Google, you'll get something very similar. Its called Google docs. Google docs isn't the prettiest thing in the world, in fact its quite simple. It doesn't have all the buttons and do-dads like Microsoft office apps have. Yet it still gets the job done, and a pretty good job at that.

In many ways Google has changed the way we look at things. If something peeks our interest we google it. Its like having an infinite amount of knowledge at the palms of your hands. (Don't take that literally.) I've learned a lot from Google. Although 75% of it will probably never be used in actual conversation. Or ever used, but still it works. Now children of the chore how about we all type "Zerg Rush" into google and enjoy ourselves for a bit.

No comments:

Post a Comment